Portraits…and lessons learnt…

This post was for the Butterfly Effect, but it is horribly late because my portrait would not co-operate and I made a stupid mistake, so she has not made it to centre-stage this week, but I am linking anyway, in case people still make it here to see her emergence! :)

I thought I would document the portrait once I had the first layer of the underpainting down. So you first have to imagine a background that has many layers and scribbles (including with a bloody permanent ink pen which for reasons that will become obvious I will never use again, even if it is the closest pen to me), and I decided to use that for the portrait.

Then you have to imagine a quick sketch with my Stabilo marks all.

Then you can see what happened with a bit of titanium white and paynes gray added….

And some more paynes gray and white…

And some more work on highlight and shadows…

Now the first layers of colour…(all seeming so fricken straight forward at this stage)

Sketching in a rough hair line when the paint had dried…

And what on earth is that???

Oh….that is fricken permanent ink pen finding red riding hood that I will never use again because it is pushing it’s way through LAYERS of paint. LAYERS!

I had panic and thoughts of starting again, and how am I going to work with this. And then I turned to my friend. Clear Gesso. FOUR LAYERS. In the hope that would seal in the pen and I could cover it.

And then it dried…and it became more visible…but hopefully sealed??

Underpainting…again…almost like deja vu…This time with only paynes gray, no white…putting in my shadows.

Adding in some white…AKA project cover up…

But not covered up enough…

Face not working for me. So I do some scientific calculations…using a very accurate measurement device…

And so some more underpainting…

And realising I forgot ears…

And while that is drying, blocking out some background…

Putting some colour back in…

And blocking in some hair…

A few more layers…

And a few more layers…thinking I may be on the home stretch…

I made a flower for her hair…out of book text, but because I did not take a photo of that I will show you a close up of the finished portrait…

And then I hated her eye…and I tried fixing it, and I decided to just paint over it. Though this painting has made me imagine a series of one-eyed portraits…

Starting to rebuild the eye…

And finally finished…there are no more progress shots because it was finished at night and the light is rubbish for photos…

And lessons learnt…NO MORE PERMANENT INK PEN.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Portraits…and lessons learnt…

  1. i just saw this and quick put it on the weekend post.

    i *know* in my heart that this isn’t supposed to be funny.

    but i can’t help but laugh. very hard. because i will try and “save” stuff with clear gesso all of the time and only succeed in locking it in.

    it all turned out damn well though, didn’t it?

    i think so.

    xx
    amy

  2. Been there, done that, got the pages to prove it :)
    You did great though. I just painted over one entirely that I had decided I didn’t like the eyes, then I didn’t like the mouth. All I had was a head shape and a nose. So I just painted over the whole thing. Some markers are only for writing with after!

Your comment will make my day. Thank you! :)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s